Thursday, June 27, 2013

Perimeter planting around the chook clock


About a 600mm strip around the edge is designated the perimeter planting. As per Linda Woodrow's book 'The Permaculture Home Garden' I have taken a three row approach. Whilst I have purchased a few tubes to start it off I am hoping to do more of my own propagation from seeds, cuttings and divisions over the next few years to get enough plants to go right around the chook clock. Must be patient...

The outer row has been started off as lemongrass. This is primarily to act as a barrier to keep the lawn grass from invading what will be vegetable garden. I do have some doubts over how successfully lemongrass will grow in this climate...particularly as I have planted it in Winter...and we had a light frost this morning... Oh well, have to wait and see!

The second row is comfrey, partly a second line of defence against grass creep, partly because the comfrey will send deep roots into the soil bringing up nutrients so that when I harvest leaves for use in the compost or as fruit tree mulch, they will add an enormous amount of goodness to the soil.

The inner row is a mix of herbs and flowers; thymes on the South edge which is slightly higher and dryer, mints on the lower North edge and oreganos to go around the sides. There's also, or will be, rosemary, lavender, sage, borage, wormwood, curry plant, tansy, a couple of climbing roses on the gate posts and, of course, some of my never-ending supply of alyssum. Some are edible, some are insect repelling or bee attracting, some just look pretty (after all the chook clock does have prime position in the centre of our backyard and we look at it from our lounge room window), and some appeal to the collector in me...why not grow every type of thyme/mint/oregano I can lay my hands on? I've got space...

Can't wait 'til they all grow a bit and bed in the whole structure.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of the Chook Clock. Wondering if its all related to Gin O'Çlock? Or is that reserved for summer. We've had such lovely weather here for a few days, but the clouds are building today. Tricia

    ReplyDelete